Categories

This is how we have recovered the Decorated Perpendicular Gothic style in this church in Liverpool.

SAINT CARLOS BORROMEO AND SAINT THOMAS MORO, FROM INDUSTRIAL CONSTRUCTION TO SYMBOL OF THE AGE OF FAITH.

This church in the Diocese of Liverpool was construida a partir de estructuras de hierro semifabricadas en un barrio de la periferia. Era 1892, uno de los momentos de mayor crecimiento de la ciudad. La Revolución industrial estaba ya avanzada y la sociedad, de carácter cada vez más urbano, recibía waves of immigrants from Ireland who brought with them their Catholic faith and customs.

liverpool-history-l20-bootle-old-bootle-docks-c1900

Liverpool around 1900

The church, faced with this growing number of faithful, took the opportunity to expand the faith and developed construction plans that reached the suburbs of the cities.. as Thomas Burke said in Catholic History of Liverpool "no city or town in Great Britain and few in Ireland contain as many Catholics within their boundaries as the city of Liverpool."

Esta nueva construcción religiosa reflejaba, de alguna manera, la transformación tecnológica, económica y social que se vivía en aquel momento. 

Later the architects A.W.N. Pugin and E.W Pluginfather and son, designed this new church over the first functional structure. raising their artistic value. They followed the lines of the Gothic Perpendicular Gilded, unlike most of the churches in the area, which were inspired by French Gothic.

20160208 161041 scaled
20160208 161213 scaled
st charles parish liverpool 28 02 1 scaled
20160208 161118 scaled

The new work was erected as símbolo del renacimiento espiritual del país. y tomó la dedicación a St. Charles Borromeo debido al momento de expansion que estaba viviendo escogiendo un santo que luchó por la defensa de la fe en la época de la contrarreforma.

INTERVENTIONS TO RESTORE THE CHURCH TO ITS FORMER SPLENDOR

Over the years the church has suffered numerous damages and changesThe work has been altered from the original state of the work. That is why we started working on the design of a new main altar consistent with the original Perpendicular Gothic style. and in the line of the altarpieces that are still preserved in the side altars.

This was designed main altar of darkened wood with gilded details to the mixtión. The columns are placed on the sides of the altar, separated from it by a block, giving lightness to the piece.

ALTAR COLOR

Infographic. Neo-Gothic altar in darkened wood with gilded details.

20180315_150043.jpg

Altar assembled after turning and carving the wooden pieces.

20180513_123555.jpg

The altar, finished, in the presbytery of St Charles Borromeo, Liverpool.

After this commission, the project is still open with the aim of also creating an altarpiece to replace the one that originally existed, and a tabernacle altar in keeping with the general tone of the church.

The Archbishop of Liverpool, Rev. Malcolm Patrick McMahon, consecrated the new work in May, in a moving ceremony attended by hundreds of faithful Catholics.

For the celebration a custom-made tablecloth was used, made in the Los Rosales Workshop, where the following words of St. Thomas More in defense of the Catholic faith can be read: "The kings good servants, but first god".

20180513 114606 scaled
20180513 123519 e1527074510315 scaled
Date: 
30/05/2018
Share this:
Twitter
Facebook

C/ Galileo Galilei, 19.
28806, Alcalá de Henares,
Madrid. Spain
info@granda.com
(+34) 91 802 36 55

Serving the Church since 1891

Serving the Church since 1891

C/ Galileo Galilei, 19.
28806, Alcalá de Henares,
Madrid. Spain
info@granda.com
(+34) 91 802 36 55

Granda Art Workshops © Granda 2024
Terms and Conditions
Legal NoticePrivacy Policy
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram